It’s astonishing, but almost 70% of drivers have been with the same company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of customers have never even shopped around for affordable coverage. Lubbock consumers can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t understand how simple it is to find affordable insurance by shopping around.
If you want to save money, the best way to find cheaper auto insurance rates in Lubbock is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from providers who sell auto insurance in Texas. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Spend a few minutes and learn about how companies set rates and the steps you can take to keep rates in check. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates like distracted driving and an unacceptable credit score can be amended by paying attention to minor details. This article provides more information to help prevent costly coverage and find discounts that you may qualify for.
Step 2: Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes for a wide range of companies.
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company of your intent to cancel your current policy and submit a completed application and payment for your new policy. Make sure you store the proof of insurance certificate above your visor, in the console, or in the glove compartment.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to use the same deductibles and limits on every price quote and and to look at as many companies as you can. This helps ensure a level playing field and maximum price selection.
When comparison shopping, there are several ways to compare quotes from many different Texas insurance companies. One of the best ways to lower the rate you pay for Pontiac GTO insurance is to use the internet to compare rates.
Just keep in mind that quoting more will enable you to find lower pricing. Not every company does online price quotes, so it’s important to compare price estimates from them as well.
The companies shown below offer price comparisons in Lubbock, TX. If you want to find cheaper car insurance in TX, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the most competitive rates.
Lubbock insurance discounts
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but there are discounts available to cut the cost considerably. Many discounts should be triggered when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for before being credited.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower rates.
- Buy New and Save – Buying a new car instead of a used GTO may earn a small discount since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Cautious Driver Discount – Accident-free drivers could pay up to 40% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Forcing all vehicle occupants to wear their seat belts could save 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few companies allow discounts for buying a new policy prior to your current GTO insurance policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Student Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Employee of Federal Government – Simply working for the federal government could cut as much as 10% off depending on your insurance provider.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though it sounds like you could get a free insurance policy, that’s just not realistic.
A few popular companies and a partial list of their discounts are:
- Progressive may have discounts that include good student, homeowner, online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, and online quote discount.
- AAA may offer discounts for pay-in-full, multi-car, good driver, anti-theft, education and occupation, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts including alternative fuel, bundle discounts, distant student, electronic funds transfer, business and professional, and multi-car.
- GEICO discounts include anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, five-year accident-free, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, and multi-policy.
- Esurance policyholders can earn discounts including claim free, multi-policy, online shopper, emergency road assistance, homeowner, and Pac-12 alumni.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for bundle discounts, teen safe driver, multi-car, accident prevention training, homeowner, and safe driver.
- State Farm has savings for multiple autos, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, accident-free, passive restraint, and good driver.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering how you can save money. All car insurance discounts may not be available in every state.
Local neighborhood Lubbock car insurance agents
A small number of people would rather talk to an insurance agent and that is OK! One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is that you can find cheap car insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. Supporting local insurance agents is still important in Lubbock.
Upon completion of this quick form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents in Lubbock who will give you bids to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you have a need to compare prices from one company in particular, don’t hesitate to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Choosing an company should depend on more than just the quoted price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Lubbock?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- How long has their agency been in business in Lubbock?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
Coverages available on your auto insurance policy
Understanding the coverages of a auto insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage and proper limits and deductibles. Auto insurance terms can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Comprehensive auto insurance
Comprehensive insurance coverage covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like vandalism, damage from flooding, hitting a deer and damage from getting keyed. The most your auto insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This gives you protection from other motorists when they either have no liability insurance or not enough. It can pay for injuries to you and your family as well as damage to your Pontiac GTO.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (Texas limits are 30/60/25), their limits can quickly be used up. So UM/UIM coverage is important protection for you and your family. Most of the time your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Collision insurance will pay to fix damage to your GTO from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things like damaging your car on a curb, crashing into a ditch, backing into a parked car and hitting a mailbox. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. You can also choose a higher deductible on your GTO to get cheaper collision coverage.
Liability coverage can cover injuries or damage you cause to people or other property in an accident. It protects you from claims by other people, and doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see values of 30/60/25 that translate to a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and property damage coverage for $25,000. Alternatively, you may have one number which is a combined single limit which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, structural damage and legal defense fees. How much liability coverage do you need? That is a decision to put some thought into, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Texas requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/25 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The next chart demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be enough coverage.
Coverage for medical expenses
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for bills like nursing services, pain medications and ambulance fees. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to both the driver and occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Budget-friendly insurance in Lubbock can be purchased from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Lubbock agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. There are still a few companies who do not provide rates over the internet and usually these regional carriers prefer to sell through local independent agents.
We covered many ideas to shop for Pontiac GTO insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
When getting Lubbock car insurance quotes online, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many cases, someone dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to regret at claim time that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Learners Permit in Lubbock? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Explorer in Lubbock? (FAQ)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)