The best way to get the cheapest auto insurance rates in Lubbock is to do a yearly price comparison from companies in Texas. Price quotes can be compared by completing these steps.
- Step 1: Gain an understanding of how your policy works and the factors you can control to prevent rate increases. Many factors that drive up the price like traffic citations, accidents, and a negative credit rating can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from a single company like GEICO or Allstate, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you can save some money and make a switch, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
An important note is to make sure you're comparing the same amount of coverage on every quote request and and to look at as many companies as you can. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
Regrettably, the vast majority of consumers kept buying from the same company for at least the last four years, and approximately 38% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. Many consumers in Lubbock could save an average of 70% each year by just comparing quotes, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to compare rates and save money.
Finding a better price on car insurance is surprisingly easy. Just invest a few minutes comparing rate quotes from some recommended companies.
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Lubbock, TX. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in TX, we suggest you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
The premium table displayed next showcases a range of insurance premium costs for Chevy Cobalt models. Having knowledge of how insurance quotes are figured can help drivers make smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Cobalt LS 4-Dr Sedan||$232||$580||$582||$34||$174||$1,602||$134|
|Cobalt XFE 4-Dr Sedan||$232||$580||$582||$34||$174||$1,602||$134|
|Cobalt LS 2-Dr Coupe||$266||$580||$642||$38||$192||$1,718||$143|
|Cobalt XFE 2-Dr Coupe||$266||$580||$642||$38||$192||$1,718||$143|
|Cobalt LT 4-Dr Sedan||$266||$580||$582||$34||$174||$1,636||$136|
|Cobalt LT 2-Dr Coupe||$300||$580||$642||$38||$192||$1,752||$146|
|Cobalt SS Turbo 2-Dr Coupe||$334||$756||$642||$38||$192||$1,962||$164|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and Texas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and claim-free. Information does not factor in specific location information which can decrease or increase auto insurance rates greatly.
Price comparison of only insuring for liability
The example below illustrates the difference between Chevy Cobalt annual premium costs when comparing full coverage to state minimum liability only. The information is based on no claims or driving citations, $500 deductibles, single status, and no policy discounts are applied.
When to stop buying full coverage
There is no definitive formula to delete comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is about 10% or more of replacement cost minus your deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's assume your Chevy Cobalt replacement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, you would only receive $3,000 after paying your deductible. If you are paying more than $300 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some scenarios where removing full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage to satisfy the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should maintain full coverage.
Car insurance protects more than just your car
Even though it can be expensive, maintaining insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, most banks will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Chevy at a much higher rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also cover most medical and hospital costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of having insurance definitely exceed the price paid, especially for larger claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Lubbock overpays as much as $855 a year so you should quote rates each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Get discounts on Lubbock car insurance
Some companies don't always advertise the complete list of policy discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of a few of the more common as well as the least known discounts that may be available.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Just being a homeowner can get you a discount due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may qualify for discounts of 25 to 30%.
- No Accidents - Drivers who don't have accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Lubbock auto insurance quote when compared to insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Discounts for Responsible Drivers - Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Drive Less and Save - Maintaining low annual mileage may allow you to get cheaper premium rates.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you combine your home and auto policies with the same company you could save as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Driver's Education for Students - It's a good idea to have your young drivers successfully take a driver's education course if it's offered in school.
- Onboard Data Collection - Policyholders that allow driving data submission to scrutinize their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive could save a few bucks if they have good driving habits.
- Multiple Vehicles - Insuring several vehicles with the same car insurance company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Distant College Student Discount - College-age children who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Lubbock and don't have a car may be able to be covered for less.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, you aren't that lucky.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Chevy Cobalt insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the rates. The prices are based on a female driver, no tickets, no at-fault accidents, Texas state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Insurance companies that may offer policyholders most of these discounts may include but are not limited to:
Before buying, ask each company which discounts you may be entitled to. Some of the discounts discussed earlier may not apply to policies in Lubbock. To see companies who offer free Chevy Cobalt insurance quotes in Texas, click this link.
Buying car insurance from Lubbock auto insurance agents
Certain consumers just prefer to go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Good agents can help you build your policy and give you someone to call. One of the benefits of comparing car insurance online is the fact that drivers can get lower premium rates and still have a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, your information is submitted to local insurance agents in Lubbock who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered directly to you. In the event you want to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, just navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right provider should depend on more than just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Does their agency support local causes in Lubbock?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
Insurance agent types
When finding a local Lubbock insurance agent, you need to know there are two different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Car insurance agents in Lubbock can be categorized as either independent or exclusive. Both types can handle car insurance, but it is important to understand how they are different since it could factor into the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive insurance agents are contracted to one company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to shop your coverage around so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents are very knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them compete with independent agents. Some people will only buy from exclusive agents mainly due to loyalty to the company rather than low price.
The following are Lubbock exclusive agents who can help you get price quotes.
- Keith Potts - State Farm Insurance Agent
6110 Frankford Ave A - Lubbock, TX 79424 - (806) 794-5084 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - Jim White
4518 50th St - Lubbock, TX 79414 - (806) 792-4416 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - Rc Calderon
1314 50th St - Lubbock, TX 79412 - (806) 741-1515 - View Map
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel can sell policies from many different companies and that enables them to quote your coverage with lots of companies and get you the best rates possible. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can just switch to a different company which makes it simple for you. If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you get some free quotes from multiple independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Many independent agencies also insure through small mutual carriers which can save you money.
Listed below are independent insurance agents in Lubbock that can give you rate quotes.
- Alliance Insurance Agency
3307 82nd St - Lubbock, TX 79423 - (806) 792-0135 - View Map
- David Tate Insurance Agency LLP
5233 79th St - Lubbock, TX 79424 - (806) 794-1177 - View Map
- Ince Insurance Inc
7005 Salem Park Dr - Lubbock, TX 79424 - (806) 797-4131 - View Map
Auto insurance can get complicated
When it comes to choosing insurance from an agent or online, there really is not a "perfect" insurance plan. Each situation is unique and your auto insurance should be unique as well. For instance, these questions might point out whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Does low annual mileage earn a discount?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Is my Chevy Cobalt covered if I use it for business?
- How much liability insurance is required?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Should I put collision coverage on all my vehicles?
If it's difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It's fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
Car insurance coverage considerations
Understanding the coverages of car insurance can help you determine the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Listed below are typical coverage types available from car insurance companies.
Collision coverage - Collision coverage covers damage to your Cobalt caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage protects against claims like hitting a parking meter, rolling your car and scraping a guard rail. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are older. You can also bump up the deductible on your Cobalt to bring the cost down.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers - This coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family and also any damage incurred to your Chevy Cobalt.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (30/60/25), it doesn't take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Liability coverages - This will cover injuries or damage you cause to other's property or people that is your fault. It protects you against other people's claims. Liability doesn't cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. As an example, you may have limits of 30/60/25 which means $30,000 bodily injury coverage, $60,000 for the entire accident, and a limit of $25,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair costs for stationary objects, medical expenses, court costs, repair bills for other people's vehicles and legal defense fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is up to you, but consider buying higher limits if possible. Texas requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/25 but it's recommended drivers buy higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be adequate.
Comprehensive car insurance - This pays to fix your vehicle from damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like hitting a deer, hail damage, falling objects, vandalism and rock chips in glass. The maximum amount your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Coverage for medical expenses - Med pay and PIP coverage kick in for immediate expenses like hospital visits, X-ray expenses, nursing services and prosthetic devices. They can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you do not have health coverage. It covers you and your occupants and also covers getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not universally available but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
Cheap insurance rates are out there
When searching for cheaper Lubbock auto insurance quotes, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the savings was not a smart move. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best cost.
Budget-friendly insurance in Lubbock can be purchased on the web and also from your neighborhood Lubbock agents, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not offer online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
- What Does No-Fault Insurance Cover? (Allstate)
- Who Has Affordable Lubbock Car Insurance for a Toyota Tundra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Good Students in Lubbock? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Lubbock Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- How Much is Lubbock Auto Insurance for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Low Income Drivers in Lubbock? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for 4x4 Vehicles in Lubbock? (FAQ)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)