To save the most money, the best way to get budget auto insurance rates in Lubbock is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers who provide auto insurance in Texas. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
First, get an understanding of how companies set rates and the measures you can control to lower rates. Many rating factors that increase rates such as traffic citations, accidents, and a substandard credit history can be eliminated by paying attention to minor details.
Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give rate quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
Third, compare the new rates to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save some money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
The most important part of shopping around is that you use similar limits and deductibles on every quote and to quote with as many auto insurance providers as possible. This provides a fair rate comparison and a thorough price selection.
Shocking but true, most auto insurance buyers in Texas have stayed with the same insurance company for at least the last four years, and nearly the majority have never compared rate quotes at all. Consumers in the U.S. could save an average of roughly 47% each year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just don't understand how easy it is to compare rate quotes.
Cheapest companies for Chevy Volt insurance
The auto insurance companies shown below provide price quotes in Texas. If you wish to find the cheapest car insurance in Lubbock, we suggest you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Lubbock auto insurance discounts
Auto insurance companies do not list the complete list of policy discounts very clearly, so the list below contains both the well known and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving when you buy Lubbock car insurance online. If you do not check that you are getting every discount you qualify for, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Membership in Organizations - Participating in a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on your next auto insurance statement.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts may get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Online Discount - A few companies give back up to $50 shop Lubbock car insurance online.
- More Vehicles More Savings - Insuring primary and secondary vehicles with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage - This one is not really a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies will turn a blind eye to one accident before raising your premiums as long as you don't have any claims for a set time period.
- Low Miles Discount - Low mileage vehicles can earn lower auto insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Homeowners Savings - Just being a homeowner can save a few bucks since home ownership means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
As is typical with insurance, most discount credits are not given to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn't make money that way.
A list of companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts include:
- GEICO offers discounts for federal employee, anti-theft, daytime running lights, military active duty, and multi-vehicle.
- USAA offers discounts including loyalty savings, safe driver, good student, military installation, and defensive driver.
- Progressive includes discounts for multi-vehicle, online quote discount, homeowner, multi-policy, good student, online signing, and continuous coverage.
- American Family policyholders can earn discounts including good student, TimeAway discount, accident-free, Steer into Savings, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and good driver.
- Esurance may have discounts that include defensive driver, online quote, emergency road assistance, homeowner, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for pay in full, bundle discounts, switch companies, distant student, and business and professional.
- State Farm discounts include good driver, good student, safe vehicle, student away at school, and accident-free.
When comparing rates, check with each company or agent the best way to save money. Discounts might not apply in Lubbock. For a list of auto insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Lubbock, click here to view.
Car insurance can be complex
When quoting and comparing coverage, there is no perfect coverage plan. Your situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight if you might need professional guidance.
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- What is an adequate liability insurance limit?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Can I cancel at any time?
- Should I have a commercial auto policy?
- Who is covered by my policy?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Car insurance is available from agents near you
Some consumers just want to visit with an insurance agent and that is just fine! An additional benefit of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain lower rates and still buy from a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is sent to local insurance agents in Lubbock that give free quotes for your car insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent immediately to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates without requiring a lot of work. In the event you want to get a price quote for a specific company, feel free to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
Selecting an provider should depend on more than just the price. Below are some questions you should ask.
- If your car is totaled, how to they determine the replacement cost?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Where would glass claims be handled in Lubbock?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
Lubbock car insurance agents come in two flavors
If you would like to find a reputable agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they differ in how they quote coverages. Agents in Lubbock can be described as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive.
Agents of this type can usually just insure with one company and some examples include AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so it's a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company's products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Lubbock willing to provide price quote information.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Independent agents are normally appointed by many insurers so they can insure your vehicles through many companies depending on which coverage is best. If you want to switch companies, your agent can switch companies and you don't have to switch agencies.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, it's a good idea to compare quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to maximize your price options.
The following are independent agencies in Lubbock who can help you get price quote information.
Auto insurance company ratings
Finding the highest-rated insurance provider is difficult considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Lubbock. The company rank data below can help you pick which providers to look at comparing prices from.
Top 10 Lubbock Car Insurance Companies Overall
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
Top 10 Lubbock Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA - 91%
- AAA Insurance - 90%
- Esurance - 90%
- Mercury Insurance - 89%
- Nationwide - 89%
- Travelers - 88%
- Progressive - 88%
- Safeco Insurance - 88%
- State Farm - 88%
- Allstate - 88%
Insurance coverages and their meanings
Understanding the coverages of your policy can be of help when determining the best coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Policy terminology can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Collision coverage will pay to fix damage to your Volt from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers claims like crashing into a ditch, hitting a parking meter and backing into a parked car. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. You can also bump up the deductible on your Volt in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Coverage for medical payments
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for immediate expenses for nursing services, rehabilitation expenses, X-ray expenses, prosthetic devices and dental work. They are often used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the "other guys" either have no liability insurance or not enough. Covered losses include injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and damage to your Chevy Volt.
Since many Texas drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (Texas limits are 30/60/25), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. So UM/UIM coverage is a good idea.
This coverage will cover injuries or damage you cause to other people or property. It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see values of 30/60/25 that translate to a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and property damage coverage for $25,000.
Liability insurance covers claims such as loss of income, repair bills for other people's vehicles and repair costs for stationary objects. How much coverage you buy is up to you, but consider buying as much as you can afford. Texas state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but you should think about purchasing more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why low liability limits may not be adequate coverage.
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things such as a tree branch falling on your vehicle, rock chips in glass, fire damage and a broken windshield. The highest amount you'll receive from a claim is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much it's not worth carrying full coverage.
Cheaper insurance rates are possible
Cost effective Chevy Volt insurance is definitely available both online and with local Lubbock insurance agents, so get free Lubbock car insurance quotes from both of them to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies do not provide the ability to get quotes online and many times these regional insurance providers sell through local independent agents.
People leave their current company for a number of reasons such as delays in responding to claim requests, high rates after DUI convictions, policy cancellation and even denial of a claim. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new company is actually quite simple.
As you prepare to switch companies, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice physical damage coverage only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
To learn more, link through to the following helpful articles:
- Senior Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Welfare Recipients in Lubbock? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Toyota Tacoma in Lubbock? (FAQ)
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Distracted Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Older Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Size and Weight FAQ (iihs.org)